Thursday, April 2, 2009

What's in your Crockpot?

Update: We just had a wonderful lunch. No one was silent! That's a good thing around here...that means my boys were delightfully humming through the entire meal. (Coy had his own menu though)

This is what's in mine!!

Provencale Chicken Supper *Taken from Southern Living Slow Cooker Cookbook
4 chicken breast halves (I throw them in frozen!)
2 t dried basil
1/4 t salt, divided
1/4 t pepper, divided
1 C diced yellow pepper
1 (16 oz) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 1/2 oz) can pasta style chunky tomatoes, undrained
Basil leaves (opt)

1. Place chicken in crockpot; sprinkle with 1/8 t salt, 1/8 t pepper and dried basil.
2. Combine remaining 1/8 t salt, remaining 1/8 t pepper, yellow pepper, beans and tomatoes in a bowl; stir well. Spoon over chicken. Cover with lid; cook on high setting for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 5 hours. ( I have found it doesn't take this long--I cook mine on high for 1 and low for 3)

Yield: 4 servings


I remember the first time I had this. My mother made is for us when we came home from the hospital with Coulter. It was sooo good, but little did I know (as a nursing mother) that after I devoured my whole dish my little newborn would be fussy because of the tomatoes. I didn't have this meal again anytime soon, but I never forgot it. Now with my easy going Coy-boy, I can eat anything and he wouldn't even blink an eye...so it's back to the crockpot for one of my favorites!!

Try it! It's is soo easy!!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Shelly said...

I'm gonna try this...you can put the chicken in frozen? sweet!! with that few ingred. who knew it would be so good! yum, thanks

Angie said...

Interesting...I'll give it a try soon and let you know how it goes over at the Lundeens:) Thanks!

Sara K. said...

This recipe is one of my absolute favorites! We've had it quite a bit at the Klingelhofer household!

cari41980 said...

Hey Stace,
Just thought I Would let you know that I made this for dinner tonight. It was delish!! Thanks so much!!!

Megan said...

I made this tonight...so easy, so yummy and so healthy. Thanks! Please post more recipe favorites. :-)